Sunday, December 19, 2010

Recommended Read: Which is greener: a fake or real Christmas tree?

Over the last couple years, I haven't put up a Christmas tree because I've journeyed home to Iowa to celebrate the holiday with my family. This, 2010, will be my first Phoenix Christmas in my seven-plus years here, and yet I still haven't found the time to festoon my home in festive attire. Lazy? Maybe. Busy. Absolutely. Regardless, I've chosen instead to relish the Christmas ambience of the PR firm where I work, as well as that of my Scottsdale neighborhood, where lights shine merrily on many a house.

But mark my words: In 2011, I will have a Christmas tree. Oh, yes. Accordingly, I've been wondering whether I should seize a post-holiday sale opportunity to buy an artificial tree or simply plan to pick up a pretty pine or fresh fir from a tree lot on Black Friday??? (Another option: Come up with a creative alternative...)

Which is exactly why I was glad to see this article pop up in the New York Times. Not surprisingly, as with any attempt to determine how green a product or service is, figuring out whether fake or real tree more planet-friendly isn't exactly straightforward. Among the things to consider: carbon footprint, carbon emissions, years using the tree, driving involved to get the tree, the benefits of trees as crops, recyclability, etc. There's a lot to look at, and thankfully, this article can help. - A.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment